Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Day Three - Today I Did Not Teach

Why not? Because I gave my time today assisting the Executive Director with planning KNGO's future. It's a happy coincidence that I'm here now, because even my rudimentary knowledge of nonprofits, grants, teaching curricula, and technology has been useful. I've committed to projects that terrify me, but the organization is fighting for its life, so why should I do any less than whatever I can? 

I'm happy to see that KNGO has already raised money via crowdfunding, but they need all the help they can get. I'm here. I'm working for the future. I'm drafting a curriculum template for proposals and working on grants and trying to pass on my knowledge so that KNGO can fold it into their daily practices before they know whether they can have daily practices. 

I wanted to teach. I missed the smiles and the giggles and the English recited at top volume. But we had an important meeting, and then I was responsible for working on some things.

On a lighter note, I wrote about my harrowing 'car ride' to Battambang from Phnom Penh two days ago. Walking around in traffic is just as exciting. I managed to snap a clip of my commute home:


And also of a tuk-tuk ride to school (tuk-tuks being a standard form of transportation here, especially for tourists):

Here's a picture from my daily commute:
I highly recommend Mr. Scorpio. He came with recommendations written on the ceiling of his tuk-tuk and the praise of the Royal Hotel manager.
If I'm brave tomorrow, I'll show you what it's like to walk around in a place without sidewalks where people drive like the roads have no rules...

2 comments:

  1. You are helping out in so many different ways. Your efforts are greatly appreciated I'm sure by your director. Thank God that there are people like him who really go to bat for these children. That's how much education is valued over there. Like I said, here we take it for granted and know we will always have schools. However, if we had to depend strictly on fund raising, I'm sure that would be a different story. Keep up the good work and hope you got to teach on day 4. Can we see some of those smiling faces with their American teacher? Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, by the way, I love the tuk-tuk video. I felt that I was sitting right beside you! And the busy busy streets....I take it there are no crosswalks? (ha ha)

    ReplyDelete